The hilarious new musical, THE BOOK OF MORMON, the toe-tapping revival of ANYTHING GOES and the London export WARHORSE galloped its way to major wins at last nights 56th Drama Desk Awards ceremony which was held at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan Center in NYC.
Joel Markowitz and Mark Beachy were in the Big Apple hobnobbing with the elite of the NY theatre community on the red carpet and in the press room.
Tune in tomorrow for our interviews with last nights winners, Bobby Cannavale, Norbert Leo Butz, Brian Bedford, John Larroquette, Robert Lopez, Adam Mathias, and John Leguizamo. Derek McLane, whose set design for FOLLIES can now be seen at the Kennedy Center, and Helen Hayes Award Winning director Joe Calarco also stopped by to talk about his talented ensemble in the a cappela musical IN TRANSIT who later in the evening received a special ensemble award.
2010/2011 DRAMA DESK AWARD WINNERS
|Outstanding Play:||War Horse by Nick Stafford|
|Outstanding Musical:||The Book of Mormon|
|Outstanding Revival of a Play:||The Normal Heart|
|Outstanding Revival of a Musical:||Anything Goes|
|Outstanding Actor in a Play||Bobby Cannavale (The Motherf**ker With the Hat)|
|Outstanding Actress in a Play:||Frances McDormand (Good People)|
|Outstanding Actor in a Musical:||Norbert Leo Butz (Catch Me If You Can)|
|Outstanding Actress in a Musical:||Sutton Foster (Anything Goes)|
|Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play:||Brian Bedford (The Importance of Being Earnest)|
|Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play:||Edie Falco (The House of Blue Leaves)|
|Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical:||John Larroquette (How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying)|
|Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical:||Laura Benanti (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown)|
|Outstanding Director of a Play:||Joel Grey and George C. Wolfe (The Normal Heart)|
|Outstanding Director of a Musical:||Casey Nicholaw and Trey Parker (The Book of Mormon)|
|Outstanding Choreography:||Kathleen Marshall (Anything Goes)|
|Outstanding Music:||Trey Parker, Robert Lopez & Matt Stone (The Book of Mormon)|
|Outstanding Lyrics:||Trey Parker, Robert Lopez & Matt Stone (The Book of Mormon)|
|Outstanding Book of a Musical||Adam Mathias (See Rock City & Other
|Outstanding Orchestrations:||Larry Hochman & Stephen Oremus (The Book of Mormon)|
|Outstanding Musical Revue:||Rain: A Tribute to the Beatles on Broadway|
|Outstanding Music in a Play:||Wayne Barker (Peter and the Starcatcher)|
|Outstanding Set Design:||Derek McLane (Anything Goes)|
|Outstanding Costume Design:||Tim Chappel & Lizzy Gardiner (Priscilla Queen of the Desert: The Musical)|
|Outstanding Lighting Design:||David Lander (Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo)|
|Outstanding Sound Design in a Musical:||Brian Ronan (Anything Goes)|
|Outstanding Sound Design in a Play:||Acme Sound Partners and Cricket S. Myers(Bengal Tiger at Baghdad Zoo)|
|Outstanding Solo Performance:||John Leguizamo (Ghetto Klown)|
|Unique Theatrical Experience:||Sleep No More|
Outstanding Ensemble Performances
This year the nominators chose to bestow special ensemble awards for acting to the casts of two shows. Therefore, individual cast members for these shows were not eligible for acting awards in the competitive categories.
- In Transit
- The Normal Heart
For 2010-2011, these awards are:
- To A.R. Gurney for his enduring, keenly observed portraits of American life over a prolific four-decade-long career.
- To Reed Birney for his versatile and finely nuanced performances over the past thirty-five years, and for his exceptional work this season in Tigers Be Still, A Small Fire and The Dream of the Burning Boy.
- To The New Group and Artistic Director Scott Elliott for presenting contemporary new voices, and for uncompromisingly raw and powerful productions.
- To The Pearl Theatre Company for notable productions of classic plays and nurturing a stalwart resident company of actors.
- To the creative team of War Horse for thrilling stagecraft: Paule Constable, Marianne Elliott, 59 Productions, Adrian Kohler with Basil Jones for Handspring Puppet Company, Tom Morris, Rae Smith, Christopher Shutt, Toby Sedgwick, Adrian Sutton and John Tams.