Mary Bridget Davies as Janis Joplin in the Cleveland Play House production of One Night with Janis Joplin written and directed by Randy Johnson, which comes to Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater September 28-November 4, 2012. Photo by Janet Macoska.
Mary Bridget Davies as Janis Joplin.
About the author
Robert Michael Oliver
An educator, playwright, theatre artist, and poet, Robert Michael Oliver has lived an eclectic life since moving to Washington 30 years ago after earning his MFA in Directing from Virginia Tech. Co-founder of DC’s Sanctuary Theatre, Michael served as its artistic director through the early 1990s. He then worked at The New School of Northern Virginia as High School Director and Director of its theatre program. Now, with both his children independent, young adults, and after earning his doctorate in Theatre and Performance Studies at the University of Maryland in 2005, he has recommitted himself to the arts. In 2010 he began the Sanctuary’s Performing Knowledge Project. Its one-man show, “Embodying Poe: Poetry in Performance,” which Michael wrote and performed, premiered at the 2011 Capital Fringe Festival. A long time participant in Washington’s theatre scene, he was delighted to be the Editor, DC Metro area for the Maryland Theatre Guide for a few years.
- News: Chesapeake Shakespeare Company’s 2023-2024 Season
- News: Solas Nua introduces new Executive Director, Andrew Dolan
- News: STC’s Chris Jennings to become the new Executive Director of Manhattan Theatre Club
- Theatre Review: ‘Head Over Heels’ at Annapolis Summer Garden Theatre
- News: Ruby Griffith Award Winners Announced for 2023 presented by The British Players