Mary Bridget Davies as Janis Joplin in the Cleveland Play House production of One Night with Janis Joplin written and directed by Randy Johnson, which comes to Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater September 28-November 4, 2012. Photo by Janet Macoska.
Mary Bridget Davies as Janis Joplin.
About the author
An educator, playwright, theatre artist, and poet, Robert Michael Oliver has lived an eclectic life since moving to Washington 30 years ago after earning his MFA in Directing from Virginia Tech. Co-founder of DC’s Sanctuary Theatre, Michael served as its artistic director through the early 1990s. He then worked at The New School of Northern Virginia as High School Director and Director of its theatre program. Now, with both his children independent, young adults, and after earning his doctorate in Theatre and Performance Studies at the University of Maryland in 2005, he has recommitted himself to the arts. In 2010 he began the Sanctuary’s Performing Knowledge Project. Its one-man show, “Embodying Poe: Poetry in Performance,” which Michael wrote and performed, premiered at the 2011 Capital Fringe Festival. A long time participant in Washington’s theatre scene, he was delighted to be the Editor, DC Metro area for the Maryland Theatre Guide for a few years.
- Theatre Review: ‘Intimate Apparel’ at Fells Point Corner Theatre (FPCT)
- Theatre Review: ‘The Lights Went Out Because of a Problem’ presented by The Acme Corporation at The Voxel
- Theatre Review: ‘My Father the Elf’ by Maryland Ensemble Theatre’s (MET) FUN Company
- Theatre Review: ‘Little Women’ at the Strand Theater Company
- Theatre Review: ‘The Pirates of Penzance’ at Artistic Synergy of Baltimore