Ivan Zizek (Stanek), Hanna Bondarewska (Stankova), Michael Crowley (Vanek), and Sissel Bakken (Vankova). Photo courtesy of Ambassador Theater.
About the author
An educator, playwright, theatre artist, and poet, Robert Michael Oliver has lived an eclectic life since moving to Washington 30 years ago after earning his MFA in Directing from Virginia Tech. Co-founder of DC’s Sanctuary Theatre, Michael served as its artistic director through the early 1990s. He then worked at The New School of Northern Virginia as High School Director and Director of its theatre program. Now, with both his children independent, young adults, and after earning his doctorate in Theatre and Performance Studies at the University of Maryland in 2005, he has recommitted himself to the arts. In 2010 he began the Sanctuary’s Performing Knowledge Project. Its one-man show, “Embodying Poe: Poetry in Performance,” which Michael wrote and performed, premiered at the 2011 Capital Fringe Festival. A long time participant in Washington’s theatre scene, he was delighted to be the Editor, DC Metro area for the Maryland Theatre Guide for a few years.
- News: Candlelight Concert Society Celebrates 50 Years During 2022-2023 Season
- News: Signature Theatre Announces 2022-2023 Season
- ‘A Quick 5’ with John Monsky, Creator, Writer, and Narrator of ‘The Eyes of the World: From D-Day to VE Day’ at Kennedy Center
- News: Artistic Director Adam Immerwahr Departing Theater J and the JCC
- News: Winners Announced for the National Theatre’s Inaugural Brandon Victor Dixon Awards