(L to R) Andrea Frye as Mary Prentice, Malcolm Jamal-Warner as Dr. John Prentice and Eugene Lee as John Prentice Sr. in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner at Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater November 29, 2013-January 5, 2014. Photo by Teresa Wood.
About the author
An educator, playwright, theatre artist, and poet, Robert Michael Oliver has lived an eclectic life since moving to Washington 30 years ago after earning his MFA in Directing from Virginia Tech. Co-founder of DC’s Sanctuary Theatre, Michael served as its artistic director through the early 1990s. He then worked at The New School of Northern Virginia as High School Director and Director of its theatre program. Now, with both his children independent, young adults, and after earning his doctorate in Theatre and Performance Studies at the University of Maryland in 2005, he has recommitted himself to the arts. In 2010 he began the Sanctuary’s Performing Knowledge Project. Its one-man show, “Embodying Poe: Poetry in Performance,” which Michael wrote and performed, premiered at the 2011 Capital Fringe Festival. A long time participant in Washington’s theatre scene, he was delighted to be the Editor, DC Metro area for the Maryland Theatre Guide for a few years.
- Dance Review: Ronald K. Brown/EVIDENCE at the Kennedy Center Lifts Your Spirits
- Theatre Review: ‘Girls’ Night (With Spirits)’ presented by The Welders
- Theatre Review: “Frankenstein” at the Twin Beach Players
- Theatre Review: ‘A Black and White Cookie’ at Silver Spring Stage
- Theatre Review: ‘Hadestown’ at The Kennedy Center