I am very excited to have Jack Connors as our July Rising Star! I first saw Jack Connors in Edward II, a play by Christopher Marlowe who is a contemporary of William Shakespeare. Edward II is based on King Edward and his short, troublesome reign. Jack plays Edward III, Edward II young son. At the end of the play Jack’s character becomes king and he must order the execution of Roger de Mortimer, 3rd Baron Mortimer, 1st Earl of March, the then boyfriend of his mother, the queen.
That’s a pretty substantial role for a 14 year old. Click here to read my review of Edward II; Jack did a wonderful job!
1. Christopher Marlowe, wow! What’s it like to be in a Christopher Marlowe play and being the only young adult in the production – did that make it harder or easier to tackle Marlowe?
It was very exciting; I had a lot of fun working with the cast and crew. Since both Marlowe and Shakespeare are classical theatre playwrights, and since I have seen a lot of Shakespeare through Chesapeake Shakespeare Company and actually been in one of their productions (Richard III, with Jonas as well), it was easy for me to comprehend the speech and speak it as well.
2. What was your first time on stage?
It was not, I was in Richard III at CSC, and that was when I met Jonas.
3. What made you want to be a performer?
I have a very comfortable time on stage and I love to make others happy which I can do through theatre. After seeing a slew of plays at CSC, I really wanted to be in one of them.
4. Can you share any acting tips Jonas David Grey, who played Edward in Edward II, gave you during the production?
Jonas has taught me a lot, and one thing that really sticks out is that he said to be very aware of your body, and how it moves in the space you’re in.
5. Any other advice you would like to give to up-incoming actors/actresses?
Since I’m pretty new as far as actors go, I don’t know a lot of stuff about acting, but memorizing lines and finding the way you specifically memorize lines is very important.
6. Do you have plans to continue to act after high school? If so what are your plans?
I have no plans as of yet because I haven’t had a large chance to think about college, and what I really want to do with my life. Acting is something I would certainly love to do and it is an option.
7. Is there a play/movie you would love to be in?
Not yet, but I have a lot of time to go and so I may find something I would like.
8. Is there an actor/actress you dream of working with? Any in this area?
I love working with Jonas, but since I’ve already worked with him twice now, I really do not know anyone in particular that I have a burning desire to act with.
9. Are there any additional info you want to add?
I just want to thank everyone in my life that has influenced me to become the person I am, and I hope I have an impact on someone as well.