The MD Theatre Guide is pleased to announce the winner of the Best of 2015 Reader’s Choice Award for Best College Theatre Program! Thank you for voting! Over 10,000 votes were cast! (Double last years numbers!)
The awards are designed to honor local performing arts, entertainment and education organizations for their creativity, talents, and contributions across MD, DC, and Northern, VA.
The winner will receive a professionally made certificate suitable for hanging up proudly as a record of their momentous achievement.
And the winner of the MD Theatre Guide’s Best of 2015 Reader’s Choice Award for Best College Theatre Program goes to……University of MD College Park!
Congratulations to University of MD College Park and all of this years nominees!
Best College Theatre Program: University of MD College Park
At about one hundred and seventy students, the Theatre undergraduate program has the look and feel as that of a small college. This fosters collaboration and support among the individual members, and allows them to offer classes in an intimate setting, as well as workshops with alumni and theatre professionals. Mandatory advising is required each semester to keep in touch with the student base, and assist them with curricular and co-curricular choices. Artists-in-residence and professional affiliations offer additional opportunities to the students.
The University of Maryland School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies advances and transforms the research and practice of theatre, dance and performance studies through its commitment to excellence and innovative education in the performing arts.
We envision a School that serves as a national model for collaboration, innovation and entrepreneurship in the performing arts.
- Reveals theatre and dance as powerful, integrating, and collaborative art forms via scholarship, research, and the art and craft of performance;
- Fosters the development of fundamental life skills: intellectual curiosity, creative thinking, problem solving, emotional intelligence and common sense;
- Builds on the human experience, thought, expression, and creativity to advance human welfare in all its dimensions;
- Encourages individuals and diverse communities to work together towards common goals;
- Allows faculty members to strive in cultivating imagination and a context for transformation, in ourselves as well as for our students.; and
- Requires the scholar/artist to access intelligence, emotions, impulses, experiences, mind, body, voice, and imagination to express an artistic vision;
- Demands discipline and dedication, which reward us by showing not only who we are, but also what we might become.
Official Voting Ballot Results:
First Place: University of MD College Park.
Second Place: Towson University.
Third Place: Catholic University of America.
Fourth Place: McDaniel College.
Fifth Place: College of Southern Maryland.