The Variations Project is Baltimore’s original ten-minute play festival. Each year since 2005, the event has created a diverse collection of world premiere plays through an inclusive and collaborative process. It all starts with a party.
All are invited to attend the Variations Party on February 8 from 2pm to 6pm at Motor House (120 W. North Avenue in Baltimore). At this event, participants will explore this year’s audience-chosen theme and generate sparks of ideas—the beginnings of stories. From this source material, people from across the region will write new ten-minute plays. Open readings of submissions will be held during April, with the playwrights in attendance for feedback and opportunities to revise. A final group of roughly 8 to 12 plays will be selected and announced on April 26. These will appear as the stage production Variations on Vision June 19-28 at Motor House, where audiences will vote to choose the theme for The Variations Project 2021.
- Submissions must be newly written for the purpose of the project
- No more than two submissions per author
- Playwrights are required to participate in person at submission readings
- Submissions should be no longer than ten minutes reading time (about 1500 words)
- Submissions must be emailed to VariationsProject@gmail.com no later than 11:59 p.m. on March 31.
Additional information is available at rapidlemon.com.