The Audrey Herman Spotlighters Theatre is excited to announce that Brandon Shaw McKnight is its new Associate Artistic Director, a newly created position. He has already begun working with Fuzz Roark, our Managing Artistic Director. Brandon’s responsibilities include:
- Recruitment, oversight and mentoring of artistic and technical personnel for productions.
- Oversight of productions in conjunction with the production committee and the Managing Artistic Director.
- Design, implementation and evaluation of workshops and classes in theater disciplines, with a focus on educational programs.
- Development of production budgets and marketing strategies with the Executive Committee
- Representation of the theatre at public events.
- Development and maintenance of relations with other cultural organizations.
Brandon graduated from Morgan State University with a Bachelors in the Applied Liberal Arts and is currently pursuing a Master’s degree at Morgan.
He has worked in arts education, arts management, stage direction, stage management, and is a triple threat – actor/singer/dancer. Brandon was chosen from a field of more than 25 applicants, nine of whom were interviewed.
Fuzz Roark and the hiring committee chose Brandon for his capacity to introduce younger generations to live theatre and his passion for inclusion in theatre. Brandon brings with him a network of local and regional artists that speak to Spotlighters mission and vision, as well as a desire to engage our young students in theatre both in city classrooms and in programs at the theatre. In Fuzz’s words, “Brandon’s energy and excitement about theatre are infectious!”
With an Associate Artistic Director in place, Fuzz will have more time to focus on Spotlighters’ business management and development. Brandon will bring another perspective for the theatre’s artistic vision, enhancing Spotlighters’ ability to grow, challenge, and engage the Baltimore community through live theatre.
Brandon hopes to bring a more diverse, younger, and new audience to Spotlighters. “I want to create moments that are priceless and touch the souls of everyone who enters into our theater,” says the new Associate Artistic Director. Brandon’s introduction to Spotlighters was as the stage manager for Into the Woods. He wants to continue growing as a leader and an artist, paying forward his positive experience at Spotlighters.